Yard trimmings and food residuals together constitute 27 percent of the US municipal solid waste stream. That’s a lot of waste to send to landfills when it could become useful and environmentally beneficial compost instead!
Composting offers the obvious benefits of resource efficiency and creating a useful product from organic waste that would otherwise have been landfilled. On this website, you will learn about the following:
- Basic Information – provides a general description of what compost is and which materials should and should not be composted.
- Where You Live – contains information about regional and state composting programs.
- Organic Materials – provides more detailed information about the specific materials good for composting.
- Frequent Questions – presents frequent questions about how and why you should compost.
- Laws/Statutes – discusses regulations for organics materials and composting facilities.
- Environmental Benefits – explains how composting benefits the environment.
- Science/Technology – discusses how the composting process works and the different methods of composting, such as creating your own composting pile
- Publications – contains a list of composting and related publications.
- Related Links – provides links to other resources.
Information gathered from the US Environmental Protection Agency – http://www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/rrr/composting/index.htm
For more information about composting or to learn more about our Trash Knight garbage system, please visit www.trashknight.com.